Breakfast at LC's...Where Champagne IS a Food Group

Everyone wants a place to feel at home...a place that feels like nothing bad could ever happen to them there...like Tiffany's. I am just a girl in the world with hopes & dreams like the rest of you, looking for that place for myself...& maybe my own little blue boxes along the way. Breakfast at LC's is my blog, where I can talk about life, love, fashion, media & family. Since MY dream is to always have a place where the people I love can gather for breakfast (or lunch & dinner) and talk, share, & laugh, I gave the blog a name: "Breakfast at LC's." xoxo, LC


Monday, November 7, 2011

This Broke Girl's Fave New TV Show



I feel like the writers for 'Sex and the City' (my all-time favorite TV show) just know my shit, or something.

First, it was Carrie Bradshaw. Everything about my dating life in my 20's, has been reminiscent of Carrie Bradshaw's, except that I am still not a published writer and I also am not living in Manhattan (unfortunately.) I sometimes think I somehow grew up to become the real life version of Carrie Bradshaw, and my friends often tell me the same thing, which I'm not sure is a good thing, or a bad thing.

So when I heard that the writers of Sex and the City had developed a new TV show, entitled '2 Broke Girls,' I could not have been more pleased. Not only did the title resonate with some of my friends and I (okay, all of my friends, and I) it also made me realize that there are millions of American women who are in the same boat right now, and while it's lovely to have shows about the latest Manolo Blahniks, it's even more important to illustrate the struggles that most American women are facing right now, in homes and apartments across the country.

Seeing characters Max and Caroline come together despite their very different backgrounds, because of a shared state of financial distress, goes to show that the economic crisis in this country has touched all of us in one way or another. Whether you are a trust fund queen with a shopping addiction turned waitress with a potty mouth roommate (like Caroline) or a smart mouth, talented but financially troubled young woman like Max, everyone's wallet and bank account has been hit by the recession.

Max demonstrates a young woman with talent and a sense of humor who, in spite of her bank account hitting rock bottom and collection agencies blowing up her phone, can keep her commitment to work and helping another woman--Caroline--who needs a place to stay. Using her talent for cooking and baking and her creativity to try and launch a cupcake business shows that if there's one thing women are good at, it's taking their hobbies and passions and creativity, and turning those talents into a moneymaking profession. Caroline's resourcefulness, gift for gab and her social skills show that there are still women out there who will use their own positive qualities to help out a fellow female and a friend in need pursue their dream.

In a world where most of us know what it is to worry about how we are going to pay our bills every month, or how we are ever going to overcome the impossible debt in front of us, and a world where women are still underpaid in comparison to men, and where we are reluctant to help each OTHER out when we're in need, it's refreshing to have a show to watch on Monday nights, perhaps the most challenging night of MY week (and I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment) that displays two women with humor and drive attempt to improve their lives.

While I love Carrie Bradshaw for showing women everywhere that being single is not only okay, it's fabulous, and embracing your sexuality and ability to make choices that are right for YOUR own life, I admire Max and Caroline's characters for setting the example of what amazing things can happen with a little perseverance and a lot of perspiration. Dreams can still come true for every American girl, if they have the courage to chase their dreams, even when they may not be born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

If there's one thing Americans know about, it's how to take lemons, make them into lemonade, and then open a profitable lemonade stand. This sense of initiative and personal responsibility, and the dream of making their lives better against all odds is what the American dream is all about. If there's one thing American WOMEN know about, it's how to forge together, use their spirit and heart to get out of any mess they might be in.

There's nothing more sexy than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment